President Donald Trump is too busy to weigh into the ongoing debate over food allergies, according to his eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., who said on Thursday that he would be “too busy” to weigh-in on the issue.
Trump Jr. told the Washington Post that his father would “probably have some good points” to make but that it was “not something I am going to weigh” in the coming days.
“I’m not going to be there, obviously,” he said.
Trump has been criticized for the lack of discussion surrounding food allergies and its potential impact on public health.
Last month, the president announced that he was considering the Food Allergy Awareness Month initiative, which would target young children who are at high risk for food allergies.
He also proposed funding for a national food stamp program.
The president has been pushing for the initiative to include more children with food allergies since his daughter Ivanka Trump, a White House aide, tweeted in March that “there are children in our country who have a condition that we should be working on.”
The White House has also argued that the country is facing a national crisis because of the spread of food allergies among children and the public.
Trump’s daughter, who is also the president’s personal lawyer, told The Associated Press that Trump is “absolutely correct” in suggesting that the epidemic is a national health emergency.
“You know, it’s not a health crisis,” Ivanka Trump said.
“It’s a health issue.”